Monday, March 15, 2004

About Martha Stewart

This is something I've been meaning to get to for a while now, but with everything else going on Martha's kinda not all that important. As you no doubt know, Martha Stewart has been found guilty of fraud and lying to investigators. She was never charged with the insider trading. I want to get something out here about ol' Martha...I don't care. I really don't. I could care less about what happens to old Martha. But being who she is, and the nature of the crimes it is worth the Overlord's attention. Just barely though. Is Martha guilty? I don't know. I don't care. If she is she should go to jail. That's not the point. What's really important is why we are going after Martha. There are plenty of people who would like to see Martha go down just because she's who she is. Rich that is. These are the people who believe that all rich people got there by stomping on the faces of others. Forget the fact that they worked their asses of to get where they are and have what they do. People like to see the big guy fall. Rather than try to emulate they big guy, and be as successful, they would rather see the big guy brought down to their level. It's called class envy and it is rampant in our country. Most notably in the hippy (liberal) left. It's the same with Rush Limbaugh, Bill Gates, and Michael Jackson. Granted Jackson is a really creepy dude, and there's no way I'd ever let my kids around him, if he were just an average dude, nobody would care about his case. Don't get me wrong. I don't feel sorry for Martha, she put herself in this mess, as did Limbaugh and Jackson (Bill Gates is the only innocent example I listed). If these people broke the law, and a jury believed the prosecutor over Martha, then she should be punished. It has been said by some that insider trading shouldn't be illegal. Well, to a degree I agree with that. But it is illegal and Martha knew that. She is after all a former stock broker. It's a position she put herself in and could have easily avoided. But let's make sure we go after her for the right reasons. If she broke the law, yes take her down as you would anyone else, but not because of who she is. Unfortunately, she won't go down like everyone else. She will be made an example out of because she' is famous. As is Rush. The people going after them for the most part don't care why they are, they are just happy to be taking down the big dog. It's a shame when someone is punished for what they have accomplished rather than what they have committed.