Monday, May 29, 2006

Troop love, get your troop love!!!

From our friends at the DUmp:

iamahaingttta (250 posts) Mon May-29-06 10:38 AM
Original message
After 3 Memorial Days in Iraq, I no longer "support" the troops.
Shortly after the war in Iraq started, my wife's nephew, a Florida National Guardsman, was shipped off to Baghdad. He didn't particularly want to be there, but he's a young guy and it was an adventure so he didn't complain. His politics (if a twenty-something can truly be said to understand politics) seem to be conservative, and he came back, in 2004, uninjured and upbeat. Mostly he told stories of Hajji and the little kids he played soccer with.

My wife's other nephew, who was regular army, was moved from his deployment in South Korea to Iraq, but he only stayed there for about three months before his discharge. He came back very negative about the whole thing.

At this point, I don't think there are too many kids like those two over there still who joined up to get money for college and to help clean up after hurricanes. I may be wrong. If so, I wish them the best and hope they get home safely. Everyone else I know of in the armed services (not too many people, frankly) joined well after 9/11, and did so knowing full well what they were getting into.

I hope they all die or get maimed.
There. I've said it!

This war (in Iraq - I'm gonna leave Afghanistan out of this rant. For now.) is totally illegal and totally immoral and totally wrong on every level and in my humble and maybe misguided opinion, anyone who joins in voluntarily is a criminal against humanity and deserves the worst and most painful fate a human being can suffer. I'm sorry if anyone reading this has loved ones participating in that carnage, it's nothing personal. I just feel that at this point, it's clear what's happening, and I feel that anyone going into it voluntarily should suffer. And frankly - that goes double for those privatized Blackwater type scumbags, and the private sector "I'm gonna go and make a fortune rebuilding" types. Die, Scum!

Maybe I've picked the wrong day to say this, but the truth is, as "liberal" (or as I prefer to call myself - progressive) as I may be, I am a Patriotic American and what my country is doing in the world right now disgusts me. As my tagline says, "I'm as mad as HELL and I'm not going to take this anymore!" and at this point I'm not afraid to say what I feel. I don't care if Ann Coulter uses this as an example to say "See? Liberals hate America!" I don't hate America, I hate America acting like a murderous tyrant. And it takes actual people to carry out those actions. People who I hope suffer for those actions.

The "War on Terror" is a fear-mongering, money-making scam like the "War on Drugs" was, and it's designed to NEVER actually be "won". Iraq was ALWAYS meant to be the newly-militarized base of operations for the Neo-Con dream of a Greater Israel, and for the oil-company dominated Middle-East. Yes, Saddam was a bad man. Big deal. There are lots of bad men. Let's go and get them, one at a time.

Radical Islam did not have to be dealt with like this. Just because a few people WANTED a war against the U.S. did not mean we had to hand it to them on a silver platter. Look, I got no problem with going out in the world and finding and killing the truly bad people. Really. There are bad people out there. I'm not a child. I understand this. I'm reacting to the fact that we've killed or maimed HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of innocent human beings in the process (including a lot of kids who joined the military to get money for college and to help clean up after hurricanes), and that we've created HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of new enemies as a result. It did not have to be like this. We could have chosen a different path.

It's Memorial Day. Get out there in the sunshine and remember what the United States of America used to be like, when it was a beacon of light shining in the world!


The post has since gone down the skinner (the DU admin) hole, but luckily, our good friends at CU have it screencapped:


The sad part is, this guy is not alone in his feelings.