Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Soldiers facing court martial

My support for the military has always been unwavering. It still is. Which is why it upsets me a great deal to read reports like this. As much as I hate to say it, IF these soldiers are guilty they should be court martialed. In any conflict there is a fine line between fighting the enemy and becoming the enemy. We went to depose Sadaam because of violations of human rights committed by him. If we are to condone those same actions when done by our soldiers, then we have no credibility and no right to punish those who commit these acts. It's sad, but if they are guilty (and I emphasize if, they haven't had a trial yet) then they must be punished accordingly. There is one item I would like to point out. The article states that 17 soldiers have been removed form duty, and 6 are facing a possible court martial. I think it is important to note that this is a relatively small number when compared to the 150,000 troops that are in Iraq. I believe Gen Kimmit summed it up best:

"The Army is a values-based organization. We live by our values. Some of our soldiers every day die by our values and these acts that you see in these pictures may reflect the actions of individuals but by God it doesn't reflect my army."


Amen General.