Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Doctors call for 'fat tax' on Coca-Cola and Pepsi

You know that term, "slippery slope" that I've (and many other conservatives) used in the past? Well, here it comes my friends:



Doctors will this week declare war on America's soft drinks industry by calling for a 'fat tax' to combat the nation's obesity epidemic.

Delegates at the powerful American Medical Association's annual conference will demand a levy on the sweeteners put in sugary drinks to pay for a massive public health education campaign.

They will also call for the amount of salt added to burgers and processed foods to be halved.

The moves come as U.S. doctors - like their British counterparts - are becoming increasingly alarmed at the growing number of deaths linked to obesity.

The resolution will put doctors on a collision course with Coca-Cola and Pepsi, plus the likes of McDonald's and Burger King.



They put a tax on cigs, and said it's ok, they're bad for you. They did to alchohol and said it's ok they're bad for you. Now, it's your soda, then? Perhaps pizza? Candy bars? But it's ok, they're just doing it for your own good. Remember, the federal govt knows what's best for us.

First they came for the alcohol,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't an alcohol drinker.

Then they came for the hunting equipment,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a hunter.

Then they came for the guns,
and I didn't speak up because I didn't own one.

Then they came for my Big Mac and Large Coke,
and there was nobody left to speak up for me.

(above hijacked from CU poster CdrMike.