Monday, August 02, 2004

Turner's Beef with Big Media

So old Ted Turner is getting on his soapbox complaining about big media.

My Beef With Big Media
How government protects big media--and shuts out upstarts like me.

By Ted Turner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




In the late 1960s, when Turner Communications was a business of billboards and radio stations and I was spending much of my energy ocean racing, a UHF-TV station came up for sale in Atlanta. It was losing $50,000 a month and its programs were viewed by fewer than 5 percent of the market.
I acquired it.

When I moved to buy a second station in Charlotte--this one worse than the first--my accountant quit in protest, and the company's board vetoed the deal. So I mortgaged my house and bought it myself. The Atlanta purchase turned into the Superstation; the Charlotte purchase--when I sold it 10 years later--gave me the capital to launch CNN.

Both purchases played a role in revolutionizing television. Both required a streak of independence and a taste for risk. And neither could happen today. In the current climate of consolidation, independent broadcasters simply don't survive for long. That's why we haven't seen a new generation of people like me or even Rupert Murdoch--independent television upstarts who challenge the big boys and force the whole industry to compete and change.


Got news for ya ole' Teddy, YOU ARE BIG MEDIA. Freakin' tool.

Go read the rest, if you can do so without your eyes gushing blood.